Monday, September 6, 2010

How this blog came about

I am not a poet or aspiring to become one. I wasn't an exceptional student of Hindi in my school life and struggled with the kavya saundaryas and the bhav saundaryas that the CBSE syllabus enforced upon me. I was more than glad when Hindi ceased to exist as an academic subject in my life.

But recently I discovered, and when I say discovered I really mean it, that I had a lot of Hindi poetry inside me. I was trying to explain to someone that Hindi had these things called alankars which are the equivalent of the similes and metaphors that you find in English and found to my own huge astonishment, that I remembered most of the various kinds of alankars and managed to give examples of almost all of them.

This epiphany got me going and I was up until way beyond midnight, deep diving into various rather unknown parts of my brain and coming out with other hindi poetry related stuff. There was a lot of Googling as well and at the end of it all, I was convinced that all the years of studying Hindi in school had left a more lasting imprint than I previously realized.

I want to indulge some more and more often and hence this blog.I am certain though that I will not be attempting to write poetry. I will just try to create a repository of all the poems that I like and add my comments to them.

I tried for one of the more obvious blog names but all of them were already taken. So I have named it after my favourite poet, whose most famous composition still gives me the goosebumps.

I really want to keep this going and hope it turns out like my love for sports and not like my love for my hometown.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Avnish.. Great job.. what i always wanted to do.. u have already done it.. kudos.. i will send some poems to you.. u can post them all.. all famous poets and their great poetry will be alive in our hearts..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Roti aur Swadheenta.. By Dinkar ji..
    but it was not having these stanzas i guess.
    Please find wot I read..

    स्वातंत्र्य गर्व उनका जो नर फांकों में प्राण गंवाँते हैं
    पर नहीं बेच मन का प्रकाश रोटी का मूल्य चुकाते हैं

    If u like I can write the full version n give it to u..
    lemme knw.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruchira thanks for your comments and please send the poems...I will be more than glad to post them...and please send me the full version of Dinkar Ji's poem

    ReplyDelete
  4. And sorry for the delay in responding...for some reason the comments had been marked as spam

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for excellent collection and such a beautiful attempt. Regards /Sanjay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi

    I discovered your blog recently. I wonder why you are not posting anymore. Plz don't give up on this. It's a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Neer. I have just been caught up in things on the personal and professional side and not had the time. Will start posting soon. Please suggest good poems that you are aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Avnishji please. Post the poem haldighati by sohanlal dwivedi ji. Its a masterpiece about rana pratap. But the bad thing is that nothing is available on net about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please don't call me AvnishJi. I am aware if this poem and agree that its a classic. Let me try and find it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful poems and reminded me of all childhood days of kendriya vidyalaya. I still have some of them by heart...

    ReplyDelete